You must be looking for a stand up desk.
And since you’re looking at this page, I’m guessing you’re the DIY hacker type that likes making things for yourself and buying on the cheap.
Both Oristand and the Ikea hack are standing desk converters, meaning they sit on top of the desk or table you already have and transform it into a standing desk. They’re both affordable, but very different options.
Let’s look at how Oristand and the Ikea hack compare in terms of simplicity, switching from sitting to standing, portability and affordability.
1) Oristand is much simpler – no setup required
It’s a known fact: nobody enjoys assembling Ikea furniture. While the Ikea hack standing desk requires 4 pieces and multiple screws, Oristand is a one-piece wonder.
Here’s what you need to assemble the Ikea hack desk:
- Lack side table – $7.99
- Victor Shelf – $5.99
- Ekby Valter bracket – $4.00
- Screws, nuts and washers
- Time and patience
Here’s what you need to assemble the Oristand:
It unfolds in seconds. Simply place your laptop or monitor on top with a keyboard and mouse and you’re good to go.
2) Oristand allows you to switch between sitting and standing much easier
Standing is important, but movement is the key. Being sedentary, especially in a seated position, causes dysfunction in the human body. Being able to switch between sitting and standing easily is important so you can change your position, take breaks easily and stand up to ease tension on your back and soft tissues.
The Ikea hack standing desk isn’t easy to move, nor does it pack down. It’s a large, it takes up a lot of space and it isn’t easy to get rid of once it’s on your desk.
On the other hand, Oristand folds in and out beautifully and can easily be removed from your desk when you want to sit down.
3) Oristand is portable and simple to store
The Ikea hack isn’t something you’re going to take with you once you’ve assembled it. It’s big. It’s clunky. It’s not coming apart without significant effort.
The ultra-portable Oristand falls on the opposite end of the spectrum. It’s functional folding design allows you to set up or pack up in seconds. It’s slim figure – less than an inch wide when folded – makes it easy to store under your desk, in a nearby closet or in the trunk of your car.
“I love it! I tweeted about it after I got it set up and am so excited to have a lightweight, portable stand-up desk I can take when I travel as well as use at home.”
– Vickie Taton
4) Oristand and the Ikea hack are both affordable, but only one comes to your door
It’s hard to compete in the price category. Both desks come at or under the $29 USD mark. However, Oristand gets delivered straight to your doorstep – the Ikea hack doesn’t.
If you don’t live anywhere near an Ikea, don’t want to drive to Ikea, or don’t enjoy assembling Ikea furniture yet still want an affordable, simple, and portable stand up desk, Oristand is for you.
“After using both, I found that I actually preferred Oristand, which is surprisingly stable. The IKEA hack is prone to tipping if I put the laptop on the lower shelf without anything to counterbalance it on the top shelf. Oristand is also easy to fold up and put away, unlike the Ikea hack, which requires permanent desk space. And it works better than many other low-cost, DIY options like stacks of shoeboxes or books.”
– Shelby Carpenter, Forbes
Here’s a few more reasons to grab one…
Hundreds of happy customers have decided to go with the Oristand. Here’s what they have to say…
- "Not a paid endorsement -- just a 'holy crap my work life is infinitely better and I need to share' product. Meet my Eco-friendly standing desk, @oristand! At $29, my back is the happiest it's ever been! Do yourself a favor and get one."Jillian Leff
- "I love my Oristand! And oddly, my colleagues who spent hundreds of dollars on metal, plastic and wood mechanical standing desks are jealous of my $29 folding cardboard desk. We'll be ordering two more and I'll be sharing my happiness..."Marc Matheson
- "Love it so far. It's exactly what I needed. My company was not willing to pay for a $300+ standing desk and I thought about creating my own somehow. Once I saw the Oristand, I didn't hesitate to buy it. It is very durable and sturdy enough to hold my monitor and keyboard and is the perfect height. It's also very portable, so if I decide I want to take it elsewhere, that will not be a problem. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and thanks for creating this product!"Angela Kuhn
- "I LOVE my Oristand! Everyone in my office is 1. Jealous they don’t have one. 2. Super mad that they didn’t think of it first :). Thanks again and I will recommend to my friends and colleagues!"Susan Renfro
- "'Installed' my @oristand today. Lots of compliments and interest. I love that I can fold it away in 2 seconds! Great idea."Carson Marston
- "We're loving the #ergonomic workspace we've created with our new #standingdesks from @oristand!"Vaneer Studio
- “I love it! I tweeted about it after I got it set up and am so excited to have a lightweight, portable stand-up desk I can take when I travel as well as use at home.”Vickie Taton
- "The Oristand standup desk is crazy perfect! I love that it folds flat and can be stowed away at night. This is giving me an option to defy the status quo sit all day work space and for a fraction of what other desktop stand up desks cost!"Diane Riser
- "Thank you guys for providing an affordable alternative to the other standing desks! I've been having hip pain for about a year and being a fairly active 26yo, I knew the trouble was coming from sitting 9hrs a day. My job wouldn't pay for the $150+ options so when I found Oristand, I had to give it a try. I'm in love! No more hip pain!"Lisa Hernandez
- "Oristand seemed like an inexpensive and quick way to transform my less than perfect temporary office, into one that would suit my needs. I was a little wary at first and only purchased one. However, once it arrived and I saw how sturdy it was and how nice it looked, I immediately went back an bought the second. I now have the coolest desk in the office. People keep coming to see my space because word is out that I have a 'cardboard' desk. lol"Kiri Forney
Ready to Give Oristand a Try?
We hope you found this comparison helpful.
If you’re looking for a simple standing desk that requires no setup, packs away and stores easily, and is delivered right to your door, save yourself some time and energy and grab an Oristand here.